|Restrictions:||Drexel applicants only|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Class Eligibility:||Junior, Pre-Junior, Senior, Sophomore|
|Eligible Majors:||All Majors||Type of Program:||Study Tour|
|Housing Options:||Hotel||Program Advisor:||Ahaji Schreffler|
The ProgramSao Paulo, Brazil is a major center of Brazilian music and culture. This 10 day study tour will focus on the music business and cultural capital of South America’s most populous capital. During this time students will become immersed in the fast-paced lifestyle of Sao Paulo’s pulsing creative cultures through interactions, lectures, tours and excursions with professionals in their field.
By participating in this program, students will:
- Understand the significance of Brazil’s role in the creative and economic future of music, as well as the importance and challenges of working in global and international business community.
- Increase their communication skills, interpersonal relationship capabilities, reflective processes and ability to think and act critically.
- Experience and learn about Brazilian music and business structure, cultural background and the influential role that these play in how creative projects are marketed.
Students will be registered for MIP 380, Sao Paulo: City of Music & Culture, a 3-credit winter term course. All activities will be based in and around Sao Paulo, Brazil. Sao Paulo is the largest city in the southern hemisphere and the seventh largest city in the world. It is beautiful chaos and rivals any city for the sheer opportunity of things to do at any time, day or night.
There will be an introductory Brazilian Portuguese class given on the first day. Students are expected to attend lectures, activities, discussions, and engage in outside research and a final project will be due upon at a date TBD. This course is open to all Drexel students in class or on co-op, and there are no pre-requisites. Students will be directed and overseen by Darren Walters, Associate Teaching Professor, with local support in Sao Paulo.
Program Itinerary: Dec 7 - Dec 15, 2013 (arrival and departure dates)
Music venue/industry visits
Street Art Tour
City Bus Tour
Visit to University of Sao Paulo
Other related activities
Program Fee December 2013: $2000
Included in program fee:
- Breakfasts and several group lunch/dinners
- Sao Paulo airport pickup/drop off
- In country transportation
- Portuguese lesson
- Entrance fees for group activities (museums, site visits)
- City Bus Tour
- Street Art Tour
Not included in program fee (approx $2,100): Round trip airfare to Brazil, Brazilian visa, OnCall emergency insurance, transport to/from US airport, most lunches and dinners, spending money.
-Advanced Payment due Sept 15: $800 + $25 application fee
-Final payment due Nov 1: $1,200
All payments non-refundable unless student is declined admission or program cancels for unforseen reasons.
Visa: US Citizens are required to obtain a visa from the Brazilian Embassy for this program.
Flight: A suggested flight itinerary will be provided to students after acceptance into the program. Students must book flights that arrive as early as possible on the arrival day, as program activities will begin that day.
|Dates / Deadlines:|