Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Drexel applicants only|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Class Eligibility:||Junior, Pre-Junior, Senior, Sophomore|
|Eligible Majors:||All Majors||Type of Program:||Intensive Course Abroad|
|Housing Options:||Hotel||Program Advisor:||Ahaji Schreffler|
The ProgramSao Paulo, Brazil is a major center of Brazilian music and culture. This 10 day study tour will focus on the music business and cultural capital of South America’s most populous capital. During this time students will become immersed in the fast-paced lifestyle of Sao Paulo’s pulsing creative cultures through interactions, lectures, tours and excursions with professionals in their field. Sao Paulo is the largest city in the southern hemisphere and the seventh largest city in the world. It is beautiful chaos and rivals any city for the sheer opportunity of things to do at any time, day or night.
By participating in this program, students will:
- Understand the significance of Brazil’s role in the creative and economic future of music, as well as the importance and challenges of working in global and international business community.
- Increase their communication skills, interpersonal relationship capabilities, reflective processes and ability to think and act critically.
- Experience and learn about Brazilian music and business structure, cultural background and the influential role that these play in how creative projects are marketed.
Eligibility: This course is open to all Drexel students in class or on co-op, and there are no pre-requisites.
Credit: Students will be registered for winter term course MIP 380, Sao Paulo: City of Music & Culture, 3 credits. The course will be based in and around Sao Paulo, Brazil. Review the Sao Paulo Syllabus There will be an introductory Brazilian Portuguese class given on the first day. Students are expected to attend lectures, activities, discussions, and engage in outside research and a final project will be due upon at a date TBD.
Faculty: Students will be directed and overseen by Darren Walters, Associate Teaching Professor of Drexel's Music Industry program, with local support in Sao Paulo.
Program Itinerary: Dec 5 - Dec 13, 2015* (arrival and departure dates)
Music venue/industry visits
Street Art Tour
City Bus Tour
Visit to University of Sao Paulo
Other related activities
*Students should contact their fall term professors upon fall term registration to arrange for early final exams, due to the trip's departure date. A letter of support can be provided if necessary.
Past tours have included:
• Chuck Hipolitho, frontman for Latin Grammy nominated Vespas Mandarinas, former MTV VJ, producer & studio owner
• Luiz Shiavon, member of Brazil’s biggest selling
band (RPM), Music Director for Brazil’s largest media conglomerate (Rede Globo)
• Multiple “day in the life” events and listening party with an emerging artist Luciana Oliveira
• Private concert and house party with female artist Diana dos Teclados
• Estúdio El Rocha (Nick Cave, Joe Lally [Fugazi])
• YB Music (Commercial productions for Nike & Windows among others)
• University of Sao Paulo (experimental musical instruments)
• CASA Nam (DIY Mixing & Production Workshops)
• NaMidia marketing & publicity company
• Record label, publishing and scoring conglomerate
• 2 DIY record labels (Desmonta Records & Black Embers)
• Casa do Nucleo (label, performance space & café)
• Vai Vai Samba School
• SIM Music Festival
• Samba Nightclub
• Various concerts & musical events
• City Tour
• Mercado Municipal
• Street art tour & participation event with Mickemball in Beco do Batman
• Museum of Image & Sound
• Rock Gallery (4 floors of stores dedicated to all genres of music)
• Centro Cultural (Public arts performance space, practice spaces and musical library)
• Parque Ibirapuera
• Churrascaria (Brazilian BBQ)
Program Fee December 2015: $2000
Included in program fee:
- Breakfasts and several group lunch/dinners
- Sao Paulo airport pickup/drop off
- In country transportation
- Portuguese lesson
- Entrance fees for group activities (museums, site visits)
- City Bus Tour
- Street Art Tour
Not included in program fee (approx $2,100): Round trip airfare to Brazil, Brazilian visa, OnCall emergency insurance, transport to/from US airport, most lunches and dinners, spending money.
-Advanced Payment due Aug 1: $800 + $25 application fee
-Final payment due Oct 1: $1,200
All payments non-refundable unless student is declined admission or program cancels for unforseen reasons.
Visa: US Citizens are required to obtain a visa from the Brazilian Embassy for this program.
Flight: A suggested flight itinerary will be provided to students after acceptance into the program. Students must book flights that arrive as early as possible on the arrival day, as program activities will begin that day.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|NOTE: Program dates listed are approximate. Final dates will be provided at later time.|