Drexel in Jordan: CIEE Amman
Take your language skills to the next level with CIEE’s Advanced Arabic Language program in Amman. Our Jordanian professors work with you on reading, writing, oral production, and comprehension so that you can take courses like history and religion in Arabic.
Amman has an ancient history and a diverse, vibrant modernity. It is an accessible, cosmopolitan city with numerous museums, art galleries, theaters, and cinemas. With its reputation for security and hospitality, Amman is home to inhabitants from all over the Middle East. The city provides a safe and stable environment for students to learn about the region.
- 3.0 minimum GPA
- ARBC 203 (310) language requirement
- Sophomore, Pre-Junior, or Junior
Fall Term Dates
Students will be taking courses at the CIEE Study Center in Amman, located in one of the older core neighborhoods where students will have the opportunity to interact with the local community and have easy access to a variety of academic and cultural institutions.
Course descriptions can be found on the CIEE Syllabi Site
. The program is designed to provide students with a full immersion experience commensurate with their abilities and proficiency level. All courses are taught in Arabic and include both subject area content and language instruction.
Students will need to get courses approved by the appropriate department for each course they plan to take while abroad. For example, if you want to take an Art History course in Jordan, its equivalent must be pre-approved by the Art History Department at Drexel.
Participants take classes with other CIEE students only. CIEE assigns U.S. letter grade equivalents. Students earn Drexel grades and credit and for the courses taken through the CIEE Program. Review the Study Abroad Grading Scale
Fall/Winter Term Dates
|Program Start Date
|Program End Date
|Program Start Date
|Program End Date
*Students participating on the Fall/Winter option will need to start their Spring/Summer co-op late
*Students may extend their travel independently before or after the official program dates. Students assume all risk during independent travel as Drexel University is not responsible outside of program dates.
Students have a choice between housing in Arabic-speaking homestays or in al-Bayt al-'Arabi, Arabic-only apartments shared with other program participants.
Most students will need to apply for a Joradnian visa to participate in this program. CIEE will assist with visa applications.
Fall 2020 Program fee: $2687
Estimated Program Costs
Review the Estimated Study Abroad Costs page for a list of approximated program expenses.
Tuition & Financial Aid
This is a Drexel sponsored program, thus your Drexel tuition and financial aid remain the same during the term abroad. Students may also want to submit a revised budget to Drexel Central to see if additional funding may be available.
Students who receive Federal Work Study should consider applying for the Study Abroad Online Journalist work study position (only available to students after acceptance).
Those interested in seeking additional funding should review Scholarship & Funding Opportunities. Remember that scholarship deadlines may be much earlier than study abroad deadlines, so plan accordingly.
- CIEE GAIN Travel Grant:- $750 - $2,000 toward airfare is GUARANTEED for all Pell-eligible students.
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant: $1,000 toward semester programs. Qualified applicants for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship are GUARANTEED a CIEE Gilman Go Global grant.
- Review the CIEE Scholarship page for additional opportunities.
- For Language minors only. The College of Arts and Sciences offers Critical Languages Abroad Grants to support study abroad for Drexel University’s minors in critical and less commonly-taught languages: Arabic, Chinese, Korean, and German. Awardees will receive support towards travel and housing while studying abroad to advance their language minor in critical or less commonly taught languages. Grants up to $2,500 will be awarded to eligible students. The amount will vary depending on factors such as country, length of stay, financial aid, and travel costs. Learn More.
For more information on these and many other scholarship opportunities, visit our Scholarships page.