Drexel in Italy: American University of Rome (AUR)
The Drexel in Italy program is offered in partnership with the American University of Rome (AUR). This program is open to all majors with priority given to Italian language students. Drexel students will spend the fall term in Rome and can choose courses from a wide variety of departments, such as Business, Art History, Communications, Italian Studies, and International Relations. All courses are taught in English except for courses in Italian Studies. What better way to spend your fall term than studying in the historic and culturally rich city of Rome!
For more information about AUR click here.
- 3.0 minimum GPA
- Sophomore, Pre-Junior, or Junior
AUR offers a range of subjects taught in English such as political science, art history, business, Italian, communications, and more. Drexel students will be taking courses with local European and American students.
: Use this to search coursework offered at AU.
: This spreadsheet is a historical list of pre-approved courses Drexel students have taken there before. Students can choose to take courses from this list, but there is no guarantee
that these courses will be offered in the future.
LUMSA Option for Advanced Italian Speakers:
AUR also offers the option to take 1 course at the Italian university Libera Universita’ Maria SS. Assunta (LUMSA). This is a great opportunity for students with strong Italian language skills to benefit from the best of two worlds: an American and an Italian education in the same city! This option has a pre-requisite of ITAL: 311 (or ITAL 203, if student takes ITAL 300 while at AUR).
How the LUMSA option works:
1. Students select 1 course from the LUMSA Pre-Approved Course List and 3 - 4 AUR courses.
2. Students attend the regularly scheduled LUMSA classes until the end of AUR’s fall semester.
3. Students fulfill the the required readings for the LUMSA course.
4. Instead of the LUMSA final exam, students complete a research paper in Italian as well as writing a journal in Italian where they record their reflections upon their experience at LUMSA. An AUR faculty member will act as advisor for the research paper and grade the student’s work. The research paper and journal must be completed during AUR's final exam period.
Students are taught and graded by the AUR faculty. The goal is to take the equivalent of a full-time load at Drexel. Depending on the courses, students can expect to take 4-6 courses per semester. The amount of class content time and work-load required is broadly similar to universities in the US. Grades earned at AUR will be factored into your Drexel GPA. Review the Study Abroad Grading Scale
AUR is a semester school. This program is only available during the fall. Students with fall/winter co-op will need a cycle change in order to participate. Due to the need for cycle and program changes, please begin planning at least 12 months in advance.
Fall Semester Dates
|Program Start Date
|Program End Date
Drexel students will need to either leave their co-op job early OR arrange for early summer final exams. Students applying for fall/winter must also be prepared to begin their proceeding spring/summer co-op late, at the end of April.
Click here for the AUR academic calendar.
Students live in fully furnished apartments, two students per bedroom, with a TV, a computer, wireless internet, and fully furnished kitchens. There is no meal plan at AUR, thus students are responsible for their own meals. The cost of housing is included in the AUR program fee.
Students are required to obtain a visa for entry into Italy. This process may take 6-8 weeks so students should act early. Please note that in addition to the cost of the Italian visa, students will also be required to apply for a Permit to Stay upon arrival. All students will be required to pay additional € 195 directly to the servicing agents when completing their permit to stay registration.
For specific visa instructions, please refer to the Italian Embassy website
Fall 2019 Program Fee: $4,100
|Included in Program Fee:
||Not Included in Program Fee:
- Apartment accommodation - fully furnished with internet, cooking utensils, etc.
- Onsite staff during the length of the program
- On Call emergency assistance
- Round trip airfare
- Full-time Drexel tuition
- Spending money
Estimated Program Costs
Review the Estimated Study Abroad Costs page for a list of approximated program expenses.
Tuition & Financial Aid
This is a Drexel sponsored program, thus your Drexel tuition and financial aid remain the same during the term abroad. Students may also want to submit a revised budget to Drexel Central to see if additional funding may be available.
Students who receive Federal Work Study should consider applying for the Study Abroad Online Journalist work study position (only available to students after acceptance).
Those interested in seeking additional funding should review Scholarship & Funding Opportunities. Remember that scholarship deadlines may be much earlier than study abroad deadlines, so plan accordingly.
- Antonio & Felicia Marinelli Scholarship: To be awarded to an outstanding student who is studying at the American University of Rome. This student must have a GPA of 3.5 (or the equivalent) or higher. (Note: This scholarship is not affiliated with Drexel University)