CoAS Critical Languages Abroad Grant
The College of Arts and Sciences offers Critical Languages Abroad Grants to support study abroad for Drexel University’s minors in critical and less commonly-taught languages (Arabic, Chinese, Korean, German).
Awardees will receive support towards travel and housing while studying abroad to advance their language minor in critical or less commonly taught languages. Grants up to $2,500 will be awarded to eligible students. The amount will vary depending on factors such as country, length of stay, financial aid, and travel costs.
- Must currently receive need-based financial aid or demonstrate a verifiable need for financial assistance to participate as determined by Drexel Central.
- The scholarship will support students minoring in Arabic, Chinese, Korean and German who are unable to complete their minor on campus and must complete coursework abroad.
- Students must declare a language minor to be eligible. They must develop and submit a specific plan of study that includes study abroad with our Academic Advisor in Modern Languages.
- The grant prioritizes, in this order:
- Global Studies majors (the major requires a language minor);
- language minors in CoAS; and
- language minors in other colleges.
It supports language study abroad with a minimum of 8 quarter credits of language
over one term. Students have to take at least one advanced course (above 310) at Drexel after study abroad
, even if they have fulfilled the requirements for their minor while abroad. Students may take content courses in English while abroad
insofar as they take the equivalent to at least 8 Drexel credits of language.